Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Word for the Year

Balance

That is my word for this year. For those of you that know me, you know I'm a pretty passionate person. I'm the kind of gal who will champion your cause, read 30 books on a subject or cancel all of the day's agenda on a moment's notice because my children need more snuggles. 

That being my inborn personality coupled with the breathtaking speed at which I live my life has lead me to be off kilter more often than I'd care to admit. Much of what causes the imbalance in my life is outside of my control.  Crazy exes and financial stressors that are not under my control aren't things I can do much about. But when I have been living out of sync with myself to begin with and one of these 'life issues' flares up it can really throw me for a loop.  I've been pondering how to get out of this whirlwind for some time now.

I remembered that for the past couple of years a bunch of my favorite bloggers have picked a word of the year.  I thought this sounded cheesy of course (there's my inborn cynic) because how could I ever remember to focus on one word for a year.  And what the hell does focusing on a word really do for me anyway?

But the word BALANCE kept coming to me.  This made me like the word of the year idea even less, balance sounds all feel goody, be in harmony, hug a tree and although I like trees that is just not me.  But my ever persistent soul was not to be deterred.

Shannon, you need more balance in your life!

Shannon (this was in the mom warning voice) you're going to get sick if you don't achieve a state of balance.

Shannon, I want you to be happy and if you're more balanced you will be happier.

So I'm going to go for it.  I'm going to try this word of the year thing.  This year my word is balance.  I have some ideas of how to accomplish this.  I've already started the practice of writing for 5 minutes every day, which goes a long way to keeping me centered.

But the biggest reason I'm buying into this word of the year idea is because I'm missing out on things I want to do in my life NOW because I'm so busy.  I miss going to church more often then I want because I work or study or clean on the weekends.  I don't sit down and paint my nails or my baby girl's.  I don't recreationally read anymore unless it's out loud with the kids and even then I had the goal of finishing one chapter book with them over Christmas break and I didn't.  I'm not sure what I was so busy doing that I missed out on this with them.  I don't craft anything for myself anymore and I'm realizing that I miss that.  I haven't worked out in longer than I care to admit.

BUT the warning of my word of the year is that I can't take on doing all of these things at once.  I must have balance.  Here's what that's going to involve for me.  I'm going to get up at 6 every week day morning, that way I can fit in more work hours if need be, working out, writing, or crafting or make yummy food for the day.  I'm going to write for 5 minutes every day and read the Word as well.  Last night as I was sitting down to do that my oldest jumped in my lap picked up the Bible and read his first sentence out loud to me that he's ever read out of that book.  This was momentous and beautiful.  I will teach him to read it by reading it myself.  I will cook something most days of the week. And I will practice inviting my children into the world of what I'm doing more often, thereby creating more quality time with them, teaching them and modeling my priorities to them.  Today that's going to look like them joining in with me as I do a work out video.  This should be interesting ;-)

What do you think of the word of the year idea?

What would your word be?

Or am I just some tree hugging hippy that needs to find balance ;-)

1 comment:

  1. My word of the year is: high cholesterol (ok, that's too words)
    So the goal is to lower it, with exercise & by eating better.
    Last year my word was: Budget (and I achieved that one) :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment rules: be respectful and honest. That's all