Sunday, March 9, 2014

Let It Go

The greatness of the new movie Frozen by Disney should not be understated.  But usually the reason that parents think Disney movies are outstanding is because they resonate so completely with the adults in the room, the kids' amusement is a by-product.  I think there isn't an adult anywhere that doesn't identify with Elsa.  Conceal don't feel, don't let them in, is her mantra.  Haven't we all done that?


The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I’m the Queen.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn’t keep it in, heaven knows I tried

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You’ll never see me cry

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I’m never going back,
The past is in the past

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway



So many of the lyrics make me want to ask who was in my head when they were writing it.



A kingdom of isolation and it looks like I'm the Queen.


It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small


Let it go, the perfect girl is gone.


In an effort to embrace more honesty in my life I'm going to try more to LET. IT. GO.   And to let the fears that once controlled me not get to me at all.   There's a greater truth here in this song that resonates with me so, and that is the more that we live in our truth, the more free we are.  Elsa is only trapped in so long as she is scared of the power within her.  If she embraces the power, that power she knows can hurt, she also has the power to make something truly beautiful and amazing.

What's inside me can be scary.  It's got power.  It can hurt.  It hurts me, I'm afraid of the knowledge (which is my power) that lies in there.  I'm afraid that it could cause pain to those I love.  I'm afraid to share my knowledge, because of the power that it carries.  It could hurt me more to share it.   So I keep it inside.   But the more I walk toward that power, without fear, the greater chance I have to make something beautiful.

 Elsa's ice castle was a work of art.  We see the awe of all who observe its magnificence.  The story that I want to write, the one inside me is terrifying.  Every time I have set fingers to a keyboard to work on it I feel electrically repulsed from writing it.   And the shock for me comes from inside my soul.  The risk doesn't seem worth it.  There's danger here.  But it could be perhaps that power is always both beautiful and dangerous.  And more dangerous when we try to hide it.

And perhaps like the fictional Elsa, and so many more courageous real people, I'll let it go.  I'll let go of concealing, I'll begin feeling.  I'll stop holding back.  I'll trust that the power has a beauty and that it is worth the risk.


It's time to see what I can do

1 comment:

  1. I’m not sure what the storm is in your life, which is causing so much pain. I’m not real good at showing empathy, but I do feel it. Being a guy, I want to jump in and fix it, take the pain away – and be the hero, but I don’t have any magic words to take it all away.
    Just know that I am listening with my heart – as a brother in Christ. I’m praying for you, and I trust that the storm will pass in time.

    ReplyDelete

Comment rules: be respectful and honest. That's all