Monday, April 14, 2014

The Words of the Son

In the Gospel of Matthew Jesus says:

God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.

God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they will be satisfied.

God blesses those who are merciful, 
for they will be shown mercy.

God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.

God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called children of God.

God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.



God (the Father) and I have our disagreements.  I don't like the way he proceeds sometimes.  It frustrates me and because my relationship with that particular member of the Trinity is the most fraught with tension; he's the one I usually take it out on.  

But this Jesus of mine, I know him.  I could never call him a liar.  I've seen his character tested through the pages of Scripture and in my life.  I know what he's like.  Those words he spoke up there, they're just the panacea I need for this ache in my soul for justice and mercy and peace.  So today I'm choosing to believe what he said is true.  

After everything I have written and said that probably comes as a shock to many of you.  But my journey is never a straight line.  I'm finding comfort here.  I hope you can extend me the grace of understanding that and find your own comfort somewhere today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment rules: be respectful and honest. That's all